Monday, September 13, 2010

"Look Ma, no hands!"

When I was about 12 years old, I rode my bike EVERYWHERE! Windsor's grown up a lot since then. We used to only have two stoplights in our little town. Sarah, who was I guess 8 or 9, and I used to ride all over the place. If we had a few dollars, we would ride down 258, cross 460, and eat lunch at Dairy Queen. Then with whatever change we had left, we would ride down 460 until we got to the pharmacy, where we would cross those 4 lanes again to spend our change on candy. We'd probably ride past the high school, go down Deer Path and venture back home down 258 again. I'm not sure either of our parents knew what we were doing. To think that Logan who is 8, doing that scares the crap out of me. I hate letting him ride down the path in the backyard because I can't see him past a certain point. There's not any traffic...but it still seems dangerous. However, we had to be in incredible shape to make these journeys on bike...almost on a daily basis. I know that except for the turns, I probably road without holding on to the handlebars.

Today, I rode the bike for 1 1/2 miles...and my thighs are burning. Also, I started sweating, so I took one hand off the handlebars to wipe my face and it scared me to death. One hand, ain't no joke, anymore. I starting practicing to see if I could ride one handed for a long period of time and it was really hard to do. I'm not skilled enough to ride without any hands...yet.

Also, today, I went jogging. Last Friday, Sterling and I went jogging with Gracie. She would run and then need to walk, so we'd walk. It was great. While G was napping today, I said I was going running, so Sterling decided to join me. Not fun. He kept telling me I run slow and trying to get me to pick up my pace. I told him, I'm trying to run for distance, not speed. When I did get to the point where I was tired and I wanted to walk, he kept saying, You can't stop. Stopping is for quitters. No. I'm walking. Not stopping. And walking is not for quitters. It's for people who don't want to pass out. THEN. I had to pee. What does Sterling say "Peeing is a reward for when you finish running." What? No. Peeing isn't a reward. Peeing is what I do when I have to pee. I left him running and I came back home and peed. Ok. I got some water too. I don't think I'm going to let Sterling run with me anymore. I don't want to not like him...and I'll be honest...I wanted to punch him. haha. I know he was trying to be encouraging (sidenote: running with Tasha is the same way), but I don't like that kind of running. Also, he didn't talk! I'd ask him a question and he waited til we got to the end of our run to answer. Lame. But I still love him.

(This picture is from Gracie's tea party birthday party...looks like one of the princesses is putting the moves on the butler. Haha)

After Sterling went back to the house, I did another .6 of a mile. Running by the woods is great because I know a blue cobalt won't try to hit me. On the other hand, I'm constantly scared of deer, bears (there was one in the area a few years ago...I'm sure he hasn't gone too far.), racoons, snakes. For fun, I plan my escape route. Do I run? Do I stay and fight the bear? My best idea so far has been to download the light saber app on my phone and take the animal down Yoda style. I just need to start bringing my phone with me when I run.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! When I was reading what Sterling was saying to you I was thinking that Sterling and I could be good running partners. On the other hand, I don't know if I'd like Josh telling me those things. I don't know though, we've never run together...probably for good reason :)

    ReplyDelete